This is a summary article about the rules and tradition that we discovered are very convenient and important to follow.
Italian – Learn and use basic Italian words. Do not be a mute foreigner. At least spice up your inability to speak with a bright smile and Buon Giorno [bon gorno] and Ciao [chao].
Mineral Water – Do order a large bottle of mineral water in restaurants. It is an easy and customary way to replenish your fluids, and it is great.
Restrooms – You can ask politely to use a restroom (bagno [ban’o]) in any restaurant. We never received a refusal.
Refreshments – buy a watermelon instead of ice cream (gelato).
Ice – Forget about ice. It is a rare and exotic commodity in Italy. We only saw one or two small droplets of ice in a fresh squeezed juice.
Supermarkets – Use supermarkets to your advantage. Even if you do not rent a car, buy fruits and water, and yogurt (even soy yogurt) in a convenient stores that are frequent and have surprisingly wide range of goods. If you do have a car – buy cases of water, buy and wash fresh fruits and store them in special bags in the trunk for a day of two.
D O M – What is DOM on top of all Latin inscriptions means? It stands for “Deo optimo maximo” (God, the Best, the Greatest).
Puzzling Announcements in Public Places
Vietato grattare i gratta & vinci sul congelatore dei gelati –
It is forbidden to scratch the “Scratch & Win” cards on top of the ice cream freezer.
accetto atac –
Except public transportation vehicles
|As the rule most interesting access points are hidden behind signs like this.||Good bye in all languages sounds a bit sad.
Pay less – Explore more.
On WED, September 12 all credit cards reported their statements, and I was able to calculate the coveted “Vacation Total”. It comes from 4 sources: ATM withdrawals, American Express, MasterCard and air fare.
Here are the results:
|Category||In Euros||In Dollars||Fees||Total USD||Average Rate|
|Air Fare (Alitalia – USD)||N/A||N/A||N/A||3,473.20||N/A|
|AmEx Total (USD)||N/A||N/A||N/A||3,655.28||N/A|
|AmEX EURO only||2,726.01||3,415.59||91.99||3,507.58||1.287|
Here is a fairly obvious formula for rough estimate of travel expenses for the future: for a very modest European travel one needs one thousand dollars per-person per-week plus air fare.
*** The END ***
Navigate through the List
- Italy 2012 August - Roma, Firenze, Napoli and between (2017/09/19)
- Aug 10-11 FRI-SAT - A two-day flight to Rome (2017/09/23)
- Aug 12 SUN - First steps in Rome - Pantheon (2017/09/27)
- Aug 13 MON - Vatican (2017/10/01)
- Aug 14 TUE - Colosseum (2017/10/05)
- Aug 15 WED - Getting the car - Starting North - Viterbo (2017/10/09)
- Aug 16 THU - Bagnoregio in Lazio, Orvieto in Umbria (2017/10/13)
- Aug 17 FRI - Orvieto - Montepulciano - Siena (2017/10/17)
- Aug 18 SAT - Siena - Villa Galileo - Firenze - Day 1 (2017/10/21)
- Aug 19 SUN - Firenze - Day 2 - Uffizi Gallery (2017/10/25)
- Aug 20 MON - Firenze (Day 3) - Collodi (2017/10/29)
- Aug 21 TUE - From Pescia to Lucca (2017/11/02)
- Aug 22 WED - Lucca (Toscana) - La Spezia (Liguria) (2017/11/06)
- Aug 23 THU - Cinque Terra [... in progress ...] (2017/11/10)
- Aug 24 FRI - Torre del Lago Puccini - Pisa and Agriturismo (2017/11/14)
- Aug 25 SAT - Agriturismo in Pitigliano [... in progress ...] (2017/11/18)
- Aug 26 SUN - Road to Napoli [... in progress ...] (2017/11/22)
- Aug 27 MON - Napoli - Day 2 [... in progress ...] (2017/11/26)
- Aug 28 TUE - From focused Napoli to havenly Sorrento (2017/11/30)
- Aug 29 WED - Capri - Day 1 [... in progress ...] (2017/12/04)
- Aug 30 THU - Capri - Day 2 [... in progress ...] (2017/12/08)
- Aug 31 FRI - La Dolce Far Niente [... in progress ...] (2017/12/12)
- Sep 1 SAT - Mount Vesuvius [... in progress ...] (2017/12/16)
- Sep 2 SUN - Last day in Rome [... in progress ...] (2017/12/20)
- Sep 3 MON - From Rome back to Boston (2017/12/24)
- Italy 2012 - Final Summary - Rules to Adopt and Follow <br> (2017/12/28)