Home Forums Outside Places SA 05-25 West Carry Pond Lean-to 1,311′ – hike 8.5 mi

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Udar Gromov
    Keymaster

Today – SA 05-25 West Carry Pond Lean-to 1,311′ – hike 8.5 mi

Sleep was very good and comfortable.  I woke up only twice at 12 AM and 5 AM.

Wake up after 7 AM in West Carry Pond lean-to.  It is not immediately on the water and where was the water source?  Trying to remember.

Departed at 09:15 without breakfast. Spring just begin to arrive here.  Leaves are just beginning to sprout.

10:45 Complete only 1 mile so far. Total distance for today – 7.4 miles. First entry in the notebook.  I found myself down on the forest floor and my feet up in the air, so that sun can energize and repair my damaged soles.  Right now, the sun is warm enough to take all extra clothes off, use bug-spray and sunscreen.

Cell signal is very weak but looks like one of my texts went through.

Dark glasses are very useful.  Good.  Almost everything that I packed is being used at least once.

12:40 I am on top of some local mount just under 2,000′.  Strangely, I lost all memories of this section of the hike.

13:48 I am crossing a respectable Long Falls Dam Rd.  I’ve completed about 3.5 miles today.  This is a lowest point om my hike today – about 1,250′.  Next smaller road is 2.3 miles away.

On the humped way to the lake I’ve met 2 ranges with chain saw and a couple on hikers sipping water.  For some reason, I am tired and struggling to go on.

14:46 Somewhere here on a break, I turned off the GPS and forgot to turn it back on till my swim in the lake.

15:44 took a swim in Flagstaff lake.  Meet a couple of the same hikers second time today – now they were returning from a short hike.  Rain will be arriving later this evening and will last all night.  Again.

16:36 crossing the second road today – East Flagstaff Rd.  It is gravel, and it ends in a few miles north, but it hosts an impressive parking for swimmers, hikers and other activists.

16:48 marker show that it is 17.4 miles till highway where my car is parked – way further that I was expecting.

17:36 I arrived at a Little Bigelow lean-to – 1,801′.  It is cloudy now.  Just enough time to cook diner and go to sleep.  I thought that I see another tent nearby, but next morning upon closer examination it turned out to be a bunch of cedar planks covered with bright green tarp.

19:55 My meal – quinoa bowl was very raw and uneatable.  I had to dig a hole in the ground and buried it to prevent any smells to spread.

20:40 even tea that I prepared – almost all of it I overturned the paper cup and spill on the ground.  Ok. Ok.  Just water and trail mix, I guess.  It is fine!

I finished a vegan bar from work cafeteria.  Pretty good.  Tomorrow is a big SNOW day?

Day-by-Day Reference:
    TH 05-23 Boston – drive 232 mi to AT on 4/27, Maine – bike 29.5 mi – hike 0.7 mi
    FR 05-24 Pierce Pond Lean-to 1,167′ – hike 11 mi
    SA 05-25 West Carry Pond Lean-to 1,311′ – hike 8.5 mi
    SU 05-26 Little Bigelow Lean-to 1,801′ – hike w/o backpack 5.4 x 2 mi – first snow
    MO 05-27 Little Bigelow Lean-to – hike 11 mi through two 4,000′ peaks with heavy snow
    TU 05-28 Horns Pond Lean-to 3,151′ – hike 5.6 mi, drive 29.4 to bike, drive 251.5 mi

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.