Home Forums Outside Places 2019-08-30 FR – the right to be tired on a second day

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Udar Gromov
    Keymaster

Day two summary: late start from Ore Hill Shelter to the next shelter (Hexacuba) and even a bit further – to a low spot by the river – Jacobs South Branch.  High point – Mount Cube – 2,909′.

06:52 – It is Friday.  I woke up in my hammock in NH. It wasn’t a very cold night.  Some loud birds were yelling and crying continuously around 4 AM.  Very distinct and neurotic sounds – as if someone actually crying of being scared in the dark, or yelling about forest fire. Disturbing. Today’s hike will be about 7.1 miles through a 3,000′ mountain.

07:15 walked a considerable distance from the camp to the opposite side of the crest. From here I almost can’t see my camp and just hear the rustle of yesterday’s companion somewhere around the fire pit.

07:49 I hear dogs barking somewhere not do far.  Where is that coming from?  I finished all my morning routines and I am ready to walk back to camp.  I am in a good mood.  I rally can do this – and work, and trading, and life.  If only boiler to keep working this winter as usual in basement. 

This camp area doesn’t have water.  Map shows a spring, but there is not open water anywhere.

08:55 all is ready to move on.

09:17 I reached Cape Moonshine Road 0.6 miles away.  Sign shows 5.2 miles to the top on Mount Cube.

10:00 – 10:52 spread all my things on a rare bench by the route 25A. This is actually not a bench, but a pile of planks to be used atop of trail wet spots. I am firmly on a page 4 of my trip map .  Yesterday I’ve started on page 5 and I will be going towards page 2.   I can hear the passing cars and even some bus. In the next 3 miles I will climb from 1,000 to about 3,000′.  I am stating to shade clothes – the day is heating up.  Continue breakfast with 2 oranges.  I use orange peel as a bug protection – nice smell and all natural.  And work for about 40 minutes.

I picked up a wooden stick to compliment my regular walking stick.  It trimmed itself to a perfect length.

11:00 Slight confusion where to go next at a summer Camp Moosilauke (Upper Baker Pond Rd, Orford, NH 03777).  I have to cut through some underbrush to get back to the trail.

11:54 Extended water filtration stop at a small brook.  Sun sometimes is hiding behind the clouds.  But the weather forecast shows no rain!

12:21 crossing another brook – just a photo, but no memory of that

13:35 – 14:18 I’ve reached a split in a trail.  I would drop the backpack here and just walk to a North Peak. My short walk is somewhat confusing and even annoying.  The trail is narrow and overgrown. It goes into ramparts, and I have to check with GPS where to go next.  I have too many things in my hands – camera, water, a green apple.  And I can hear voices, but I do not see any people.  May be they come from the other peak?  Very strange.  And I am tired.  This is my second day.  I need to get into the routine of walking with a backpack. To get along with a program.

14:45 – 15:00 I am at the South Peak – a mixed Russian-speaking couple with a small dog walks onto the mountain, and I recognize them by just one command to the dog: “Fooo!”

15:56 side trail goes to Hexacuba Shelter, but I continue to march on.

16:17 crossing Jacobs North Branch.  For a send I thought that I’ve arrived, but then I looked at the map – a little bit more hiking is needed to reach the goal.

16:56 a good dirt road crossing the trail towards Eastman Ledges

16:59 I am on the pedestrian bridge over Jacobs South Branch.  I will seek a camp spot around here.

For the next several hours I would find a slightly slanted spot in the woods on a high river bank about 60 yard from water, take a swim in the river, cook my food on a titanium stove and even saw a couple trying to take a spot really near me, but decided to move closed to the river and the walking bridge.  There are no pictures or notes of these 3 hours.

19:54 – notes writing in my hammock.  I could hear people somewhere nearby, but I can’t see them.  This is a very logical spot for camp – lower altitude makes for warmer temperatures, running water, crossroads with several trails and even old road nearby. Faint sounds from passing cars are audible.  This is a case when I was able to pick a camping spot just unis the map.  And the choice appears to be good. Encroaching sounds of human habitat and proximity to civilization is a distinct feature on this trip.  In Maine it was miles and miles without roads and any sign of civilization

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.